Every two seconds someone in the U.S. needs blood. It is essential for surgeries, cancer treatment, chronic illnesses, and traumatic injuries. Whether a patient receives whole blood, red cells, platelets or plasma, this lifesaving care starts with one person making a generous donation.
Facts About Blood Needs
Approximately 36,000 units of red blood cells are needed every day in the U.S.
Nearly 7,000 units of platelets and 10,000 units of plasma are needed daily in the U.S.
Nearly 21 million blood components are transfused each year in the U.S.
The average red blood cell transfusion is approximately 3 units.
The blood type most often requested by hospitals is type O.
Sickle cell disease affects 90,000 to 100,000 people in the U.S. About 1,000 babies are born with the disease each year. Sickle cell patients can require blood transfusions throughout their lives.
According to the American Cancer Society, about 1.7 million people are expected to be diagnosed with cancer in 2017. Many of them will need blood, sometimes daily, during their chemotherapy treatment.
A single car accident victim can require as many as 100 pints of blood.
The Portland Regional Chamber of Commerce SleevesUp campaign runs from March 1 to March 31. You can donate at many convenient locations:
• Portland Donor Center, 524 Forest Av, Portland, ME 04101
• A mobile community blood drive.
It’s easy to sign-up for an appointment that’s convenient for you. Here are the steps:
1. Click on the “Pledge to Give Blood” link.
2. Fill in the information and input a zip code that is convenient for you. The Portland, ME Donor Center, zip code is 04101
3. If you currently do not have the Red Cross Blood App, go to your App Store and download the app to your phone and create an account so you can follow your blood donation to its final location.
Every donation can help save up to three lives.
Go SleevesUp and help us reach our goal. Please donate to our campaign!