The Blinded Veterans Association (BVA) was founded on March 28, 1945, at Avon Old Farms Army Convalescent Hospital just outside of Avon, Connecticut by a group of about 100 World War II blinded veterans. The facility, a former high school boys boarding school, was renovated and donated to President Franklin D. Roosevelt by Ms. Theodate Pope. This initial donation became the Department of Defense convalescent and training center for veterans returning to the United States after losing their sight in World War II combat.
Thousands upon thousands of donations from generous Americans miraculously followed Pope’s donation, sustaining BVA for an astounding 77 years! In honor of this milestone, we issue a call to action to our members and stakeholders for donations of a different kind. The blood supply in the United States is at a critical 10-year low and, as a result of the pandemic and other factors, the majority of the country’s blood centers are reporting dangerous declines in their blood collections. Please join us in assisting the American Red Cross in its efforts to replenish the nation’s blood supply!